Make Sure You Can Be a Parent to Your College-Aged Child in an Emergency

Estate Planning for College Students

Sending your son or daughter to college is one of the most exciting, and nerve-wrecking times for a parent!

You’ll worry whether they will eat properly, study enough, and get enough sleep. While we can’t help with these everyday concerns, our College Protection Plan can help with one of the big ones: making sure you are prepared if your son or daughter has a medical emergency while away at school.

Our College Protection Plan includes:

  1. The documents your family needs now that your child is an adult.

  2. Easy access to those documents so doctors have that information instantly.

  3. An alert to you when that information is accessed so you know right away.

1. The Documents:

Now that your child is an adult, the rules change. This means that even though you pay the bills, your child’s doctor might not be able to talk to you when your child is sick or injured. Once your child turns 18, HIPPA, the medical privacy law, prevents your child’s doctor from discussing their medical conditions with you—even during a life-threatening emergency.

You may have read about this issue in Forbes Magazine a few years ago in an article titled, Two Documents Every 18-Year-Old Should Sign. The two documents are a Durable Power of Attorney and a Health Care Proxy that contains a HIPAA Release.

These important documents will let your child designate you as a Personal Representative, which means the doctor will be able to talk with you if something happens to your child. We can help draft these documents for you as a part of our speci